I've been asked a few times how I got started and where I sought help and information. I'd like to share a few of the resources I've used and a few I'm currently looking into and researching as well.
1. http://editingforauthors.com/ Erica is a published author with Penguin who is co-owner of an editing service. Erica is very compassionate, helpful, thorough and offers great suggestions!
2. https://www.facebook.com/yourstrulytheeditor/ Erinn Giblin is quick and amazingly kind. She's a joy!
3. http://www.theindyauthor.com/resources.html I met Matty at a writer's group recently. She has great resources and an informative website. Definitely going to research Matty's resources!
4. http://www.charlottedillon.com/WritingRomance.html This won't apply to everyone but if you're interested in writing romance this is a great place to get feedback and build new relationships.
5. http://publishedtodeath.blogspot.com/ This is a super informative tool for self-published writers I found through my friend Katya! I love this blog!
In regards to book signings, I researched independent bookstores in my local and surrounding area and asked if they were interested in supporting independently published authors - some were not, but some were very enthusiastic! I'm working on building my local platform by contacting more local bookstores as well as continuing to grow my social media one. After the holidays I plan on visiting in person the new list of local bookstores I 've researched.
I hope some of these resources help on your writing journey. If they do or you have more to share, please I'd love to hear from you!
Take Care and Happy Holidays!