Monday, April 28, 2014

Standing behind what you write, even when others think it’s controversial


                        This one is tough for me since I always prided myself on having a thick skin. At first, I was anxious and upset about some refusals to read Choices because of the controversy. To me, my story isn’t controversial. To me, it’s real life, but I understand from a traditional romance reader’s perspective I guess, Choices can be controversial. Some people weren’t interested in reading it due to the adultery factor. I understand that now, but my immediate response was to run and hide and change my story even though, deep down I really didn’t want to, nor did I think I should. It was just going to take time until I found my niche, until I found the right readers where Choices resonated with them. I needed to find readers who were willing to invest their time in a story that wasn’t neat and tidy. Living life and making choices isn’t always neat and tidy, or sweet and nice. It’s not surprising to me to write a story that isn’t neat and tidy as well. Patience was the word of the day, then weeks, then months as I waited to find my niche.

           I wrote a story that was human with human reactions, responses and flawed characters just like real life. There’s also hope and redemption, too, just like real life. I was intimidated at first and thought about changing Choices to please other readers when I realized how ridiculous I was being. To me, writing is also a way to not only express my creativity, but also to get people to think about themselves, or others, or difficult situations. The goal is not only to write a creative story, but to allow the reader to contemplate the situations presented in the book, digest them and then discuss or debate their opinions with others. To me, that’s writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment